Friday, July 4, 2014

Wealth Management Products in China are a Ponzi Scheme

I have a whole chapter in the book, "The Death of Money", just on China. You know, the wealth management products are a Ponzi and that's not from me, the Chairman of the Bank of China said they're a Ponzi, so you've seen the Chinese banking officials saying the same thing.

The problem is the money's going into real estate so if you're a state-owned enterprise, and you produce steel or glass or any of the cement or any of the components for construction and you just wanna roll steel and build buildings…

I've been out there, I expect you have too, I've seen the ghost cities, I've seen them as far as the eye can see -- completely empty.

And people say, "Well, they'll fill up in the years ahead." No, they won't. I mean, that migration from the countryside to the cities is largely over, number one. Number two, it doesn't take into account obsolescence. You can't mothball a building; you have to occupy it and maintain it.

So, this is wasted investment. If you adjust the Chinese GDP for the amount that's wasted, it would already be lower...


- Source, James Rickards via FXStreet


Limited time promotion: FREE SHIPPING on emergency survival food, orders over $87. Act fast, this won't be around forever.